Thursday, February 21, 2013

To My Son The Night Before Coming Home From The NICU


Jack-

Wow, buddy. Here we are, the night before your big debut- a day that I pictured very differently months ago when we found out “Baby A” was a little boy. I remember seeing your face on the sonogram pictures and I wondered what you would look, who you would favor. I never dreamed that we would meet each other so soon or have our relationship built around plastic gowns, beeping monitors, and restricted touch times. But tomorrow, those things will not hinder us any longer. Tomorrow you will leave your comfort zone, the only home you’ve ever known and you will be welcomed into your real home- a place that has been missing you for so long. I can’t wait to be able to snuggle you and care for you and show you what the world looks like beyond the NICU walls.

You are my son, the most beautiful boy I can imagine and, along with your sister, my greatest pride. I promise to always be a good mother to you. I know there will be times that I break that promise- times that I’m not patient enough or supportive or as caring as I should be. I ask you to be understanding- I am embarking on a journey for which there are no rules and, quite frankly, I’m a bit terrified. We will learn from each other.

You will always be my first-born, my little man, the person who made me a Mom. I cannot wait to get you home tomorrow and show you what life will be like. There are so many dreams your father and I have for you and so many things to learn and do- you will be a superstar to us, always. You have already endured so much in your short life and it’s given you a subtle determination that others much older than you still do not possess. I can’t wait to see where that determination takes you.

Tomorrow will be a big step that we take together- trust in me, trust in your dad, trust in the Father who has brought you safely thus far. You are a miracle, kiddo, and I can’t wait to get you home.

I love you,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment