Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tales from the Home Front


Well today has been an eventful one. Tony and I “roomed in” last night at the hospital which means we shared a fold out couch in a room off of the NICU and Jack got to stay in our room with us. It was nice to know that we could try on this overnight thing with some nurses for training wheels, if need be. Overnight was successful- Jack ate, slept, and kept producing wet diapers, so we got to take him home this morning!

The discharge orders were put in as they were bringing us breakfast and by 11:30, Tony and I were walking in our house to the cheers of Nana, who is here helping with Jack. We also got to introduce Jack to his Abby. Abby is very interested in Jack already, and must sniff him every time he is up to eat, cries, or if she feels like no one has checked on him lately. Neither Tony nor I know how Abby will keep up with both Jack and Harper.

Speaking of Harper, we left her in the NICU this morning- I was heartbroken and hopeful. Heartbroken that my girl isn’t home with us, but hopeful that she will be very soon. To help soothe her now that brother is gone, her dad got her a cd player and brought in his Led Zepplin “Rock A Bye Baby” lullaby cd. I hope she likes it. Tony also got to cuddle and snuggle with her at her morning touch time and I got to go in and kiss her goodbye before we left- eat little girl, eat!

Jack is currently sleeping on his dad’s shoulder. He has eaten well for us, slept pretty good and the only trouble we seem to be having is keeping him warm enough- it will be a fine balance between layers of clothes and adjusting the thermostat. I’ve read so many things about SIDS and overheating a baby could lead to SIDS, so poor boy, I’m terrified that I might get him too hot and not know it.  I hope to find that balance very soon- Jack is much happier when he’s warm and cozy.

Alright, off to bed for this momma; now our every 3 hour eating schedule starts and I can say “goodbye” to my “long stretch” of sleeping 3 and ½ hours at night. We shall see how we do at home, and what tomorrow holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment