Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Outings


Big adventures were to be had in the Collett family today. Jack took his first outing and I tried my hand at packing a diaper bag and transporting the little guy as he went for his first pediatrician appointment. Miss Harper also took an outing- her very first venture out of Pod E as she moved into a new room down the hall in Pod F.

Jack’s very first pediatrician’s appointment went well. He didn’t cry or fuss on the 20 min car ride and was fine sitting in his car seat in the waiting room. He got his weight and height done and, even though he is in the < 1 percentile, Tony and I are proud to announce he is growing just fine, and doing so at home (so we are feeding him enough- good to know). Jack has gained 3 ounces from his discharge on Friday, 6 lbs 1 oz to 6 lbs 4 oz, and he is now 19.3 inches long. The doctor was also very proud of him for his development up to this point- he got an A+ and did well waking up and not crying during his exam. All of these “good marks” made him eligible for his 2 month old shots- NOT Jack’s favorite part. I held his hands and soothed him while the nurse gave him an oral medication and three shots. He has been sore in both legs, and ran a very small and very short fever, but otherwise has been fine. I decided that since he didn’t feel good, he needed extra Mom, Daddy, and Nana snuggle time- I’m sure that is the trick that helped him do so well.

Miss Harper’s big adventure is also something that she handled quite well. Tony and I were told today that Harper was going to be moving to a new Pod in the NICU to rearrange the nursing schedule in Pod E. Two (of the 6) babies in the Pod are long term kiddos with problems- one’s been on a ventilator since Thanksgiving, the other one was only 420 grams at birth- and both have gotten sick in the last 10 days. So, Harper, being a feeder/grower, moved to a new Pod to help the nurses lighten their load and focus on the sick wee ones. I was encouraged to stroll down to Pod F, Harper’s new residence, and see it. The Pod houses more kids than E does and it seemed louder to me- not my favorite.  However, the nurse giving me a tour of the Pod told me that there was a corner bay open and Harper could be eligible for that one, upon request. I checked it out, put in a request, and Tony helped Harper move into her new digs tonight. She now has a window with a view of the Tollway, three chairs in her bay, a door to separate her from the rest of the Pod, and her own thermostat (score!). I will post pictures of the new place tomorrow- Tony said she seemed happy.

So, there are our adventures for the day. All of this moving about made for one tired Momma, Daddy, and Nana.


No comments:

Post a Comment