Friday, February 8, 2013

O, Happy Day


Wow, so many things to update everyone on today.  First off, Jack started off the day at 8am with a nursing session (about 15 min) and then had 20 ml of a bottle to finish off his breakfast. I was very proud of him for eating so well.  While Jack was getting his bottle, a man walked in to check on Harper and then come and speak to me. It turns out the stranger was the nurse practitioner who informed me that Harper’s nasal cannula was out and she was doing well with her breathing, so he turned off her oxygen. I was shocked and hopeful that Harper would keep up her good breathing. Well, she did! She kept her breathing steady through a nursing session, showed off her cannula-less face to her dad who came up at lunch to hold Jack and see Harper, and even kept her breathing steady while she got her very first bath.  Harper’s first bath was, like Jack’s first bath, a swaddle bath. She seemed very content- a little worried that I didn’t know what I was doing, but happy nonetheless. She smelled so good after I put her lotion on and gave her fresh pjs; clean babies are happy babies.

Another thing that made today so great was our nurse. Our nurse wheeled Harper’s bed over toward Tony after she was done with her bath so Tony could see Harper while he was holding Jack. Tony asked me to take a picture of him with both of the kids; I realized that if I could get the nurse to take our picture, it would be the first picture of all four of us. When I asked our nurse if she could take a picture of us, she asked me if I wanted to hold Harper so we could see her better. I am thrilled to announce that she let us snap a quick pic of the 4 of us and this picture is our first family picture (minus Miss Abby). This was the icing on the cake for the day- what a great day. Tony and I left the NICU with big smiles.  Now our big obstacle comes tomorrow; tomorrow Harper will be off the cannula for 24 hours. At 24 hours, according to the night nurse, some babies get tired of breathing and have to go back on the cannula. Please say a prayer that our little Harper continues to breath deep so she can stay cannula free.  Also, prayers for Mr. Jack that he continues to eat on his own and grow big and strong!



1 comment: