Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Times, They Are A Changing


What a difference a week makes. This time last week, Tony was off work, Debbie was here, and we were learning how to adjust to a house with both a little boy and a little girl.

Fast forward one week: Tony is back to work, Tony’s mom has gone home and my mom is here now, Harper has been home 11 days, our nanny, Durinda, is coming this week, and I’m going back to work on Thursday.  Times, they are a changing.

Durinda came this morning; she’s met both of the kids, but needed to get a tour of the new bottle system, and I needed help juggling two kids during the day. We are so lucky and so blessed to have someone who cares so much about our kiddos and who is so patient and understanding of the twins and their needs. Durinda was undaunted when one baby would cry while she was trying to tend to the other one. Jack got all worked up because he wanted to eat “right now” and we weren’t moving fast enough for him and Harper, poor thing, had a vomiting experience while I was showing Durinda the particulars of her eating schedule- these events didn’t scare Durinda away. I know she’s going to be a great asset to our household, and while going back to work is overwhelming for me, it’s much easier knowing I’m leaving my precious babies in such capable hands.

With both Tony and I working this week, we’ve also had a change in our overnight schedule. While Debbie was here, it made the most sense for everyone to take a shift with both babies, thus ensuring each person got some sleep. My mom is with us this week to help ensure both Tony and I get some sleep so we can function outside the house. To try and accomplish this, we have split the babies up- Mom has Jack, and Tony and I have Harper. The thought is that you get up with the baby you’re assigned to and sleep when they sleep. I am grateful to my mom for taking on this challenge. We will see how this experiment works. Tony and I are hoping this is a step in the right direction so one day, we can wrangle both kiddos overnight by ourselves.

Picture of the “day” (actually night), goes to Harper showing off her new sleeping location- the pack and play in our room (as opposed to the snuggle chair in the living room). This seems to be a hit- we shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment