Monday, March 4, 2013

Firsts...


When I woke up this morning, I didn’t think today would be full of firsts. My mom has been in Arlington this weekend and Tony had to work, so today was my first day alone with Jack all day and we had a great day that consisted of naps for him and a little light reading, laundry, and picking up the house. Around 1 o’clock, Jack awoke from his nap (an hour early), so I carried him around as I worked and I took him with me out to the porch when I let Abby out. Jack seemed to like the great outdoors. I realized what a beautiful day it was and decided that it was time for Jack’s first stroller ride. So, I loaded him up and leashed Abby up and after a little choreography adjustments, the three of us were walking. Abby was not thrilled to have to share the sidewalk with the stroller, nor was she happy about the pace, or the short distance we traveled, however, she was happy to leave the house and I’m confident she’ll get better with practice.  Jack, on the other hand, seemed to like the walk and even managed to get in a little more sleep- note the before and after pictures.

The other firsts today involve Miss Harper- two firsts for both of us, actually. Because I was with Jack today, I couldn’t visit Harper at lunch like normal. Tony took the lunch shift at the hospital, which left me the 6pm time slot. I got to her room a little early today because Harper was due for a bath- something she loves and I was happy spending extra time with her. Today was the first time that I gave Harper a bath all by myself- no nurses to watch and make sure I did things right, no family members to help me wash hair or dry little toes- just me and Harper. She was alert and happy throughout her bath, so alert and happy that we decided to try a bottle. Harper has been put on a new eating regimen- more calories and less volume (40ml and 28 cals) with the hope that she will be able to finish these bottles and figure out how to eat. So, Harper and I sat down together to try and eat a bottle (something she has never completed for me). Harper is notorious amongst the nurses for only taking a few ml of her bottle, playing opossum while eating, and refusing to put the bottle back in her mouth if she is stopped in the middle of her feed to burp. So, we started up and within the first two minutes, Harper choked. I knew that we were done and would have to gavage the rest, but to my surprise, she still wanted to eat! Harper Marie finished her bottle for me despite stopping three times to burp and once to regroup. I was so proud of her! A surprise visitor, my mom, even stopped by while Harper was eating and she kept on going. So, here are a couple of pictures of Harper- one after her bath and one with her Nana and her empty bottle- Go Harp!

Just when we get to the end of our ropes, God helps us tie a knot to hang on.





No comments:

Post a Comment