Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sick Leave


Today started off very differently than I thought it would. I was running a low-grade fever and was achy with a headache and a little nausea. Tony convinced me to go to the doctor where I found out I, thankfully, do not have the flu; I have mastitis instead. After putting in a call to the NICU, it was decided that I would spend the day at home resting and trying to recoup and Tony would represent our family as a sole visitor today. Because I could not visit, I spoke with the nurse practitioner on the phone about Harper a couple of times- here is the latest update:

Harper wasn’t acting like herself this morning and looked “wimpy”. It was decided to run some blood and urine cultures to see if she has an infection of some sort. She was started on antibiotics that will kill 98% of the infections she could acquire. Harper was also moved from low flow nasal cannula back to high flow nasal cannula. This means that she has a stronger tuft of oxygen that helps remind her to breathe. These changes were put in place this morning and by the time Tony visited after work, Harper seemed to be feeling better. Here’s a picture of Harper working on her pacifier; I think she’s feeling better.


Jack continues to hang out and grow bigger. His biggest challenge is taking a bottle and the therapist says he has a “lazy latch”. I hope that’s something that will change with practice. He got to hang out with his dad today while Harper and I rested. Here’s hoping tomorrow will find the women of this family feeling much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment