Monday, June 10, 2013

School is out for the summer!


School is finally out for the summer and I get to spend the majority of my time with the kids now. Watching my students leave was a little bitter sweet, but I know I’ll get to see them again next year when they’re seniors. I was so anxious to be done with school that I had everything packed and waiting for my last student to finish their last final so I could bolt out the door. I wasn’t anxious because my students were bad this year, I just had spring fever big time and I think I might have accidently caught a case of senioritis too- I hear it’s contagious.

I did, however, get some wonderful things from my awesome kids this year before school was out. I know it’s not customary to give high school teachers end of the year gifts, but I usually get a couple of things anyway (mostly Starbucks gift cards- even though I don’t drink coffee- oh well).  This year was very different and I must say, my kids and their kindness pleasantly surprised me.

Our family got two gift cards for the babies to buy clothes and diapers; you can’t go wrong with clothes and diapers! 

Before I had the babies, I worked on recommendation letters for one of my former students who sent us these cute penguin jammies as her “thank you”.  Harper wore this outfit home from the hospital, and Mimi and Nana had dressed Jack in his penguins too just by coincidence.


We also got these cute summer outfits for Harper and Jack from a family whose son and daughter I both taught. 

One of my other families who son I taught last year and whose daughter I taught this year got Jack and Harper some toys for their car seat- little bugs that make noise- that are already a hit with Jack. She also got us some cute tub toys that I’m sure will be a hit with both kiddos.



I had twins in my zero hour class this year who brought in copies of their favorite childhood books for my twins; I love that they contributed to my growing little library.
  
When I returned from maternity leave, five of my sweet students were there early in the morning to throw me a little welcome back party when I walked in the door. They had balloons, a cupcake, confetti, a basket of lotion and body spray for me and these adorable name plates for the kids. Tony and his dad hung those over their cribs and they look great (shout out to Papa-thanks for the help).


I also received a very unexpected gift from one of my girls during her “passion project” presentation. The students were asked to find something they were passionate about and make it into a presentation. This girl talked about her art and she showed us pictures of her abstract work; she is a wonderful young talent. At the end of her presentation, she came over and said “oh, and I made this for you” and then she handed me a package wrapped in brown butcher paper. I thought I was getting one of her abstract pieces, but when I unwrapped the artwork, this is what I found:



She had asked my neighbor at school, Jan, if she thought I would like a drawing of the kids. Jan contacted Tony who sent a picture- this picture- and now I have a beautiful drawing of the kids. I cried when I got it.

With all the ups and downs this school year had to offer, I definitely went out on a high note.

We are so happy school is out for the summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment