Sunday, May 4, 2014

Wubbies, Bottles, and Bad Backs

We spent this weekend hanging around the house and helping each other. Both Tony and I hurt our backs; I know that mine is muscular and I think it has something to do with the way I'm sleeping, but Tony threw his back out on Saturday stooping to lift something. So, needless to say, our plans changed when Tone got hurt.  The kids and I spent quite a bit of time playing inside and taking wagon rides while Tony spent some time sitting with an ice pack.  Luckily, he's feeling more mobile today and has been able to get around a bit better; we even took the kiddos to breakfast.

Harper and Jack have been going 90 miles an hour all weekend and took great naps for us because they were so worn out. I cooked dinner Saturday night and baked banana bread this morning and had two little helpers each time. Jack was really interested in being held so he could see what I was cooking or mixing. Harper was much more interested in looking through the oven window to watch things bake. The kids also had fun spending more time running through the downstairs (as opposed to being gated off in the living room).

Harper was a well of entertainment this weekend; she got a ball stuck under a chair and decided to crawl in after it; here is what came of that:

She also insists on wearing her hat inside sometimes. The hat is cute, but Harper in the hat with her little attitude is even cuter; she's our own little Gilligan.


Harper and I also took a solo trip to the grocery store while Jack stayed home to take care of his dad. I think Harper liked getting some individual attention and she had a great time "talking" to all the people in the grocery store. Harper also did a great job keeping track of the list and making sure I got it all.

 Jack's favorite thing to do when he's given free run of the downstairs is to go in his room and get his "Wub-a-nubs" out of the crib. When he does this, he toddles out to me or Tony or Durinda and smiles and tries to run away before he has to relinquish the "Wubbies". Here's a picture of him doing this:

 Well, after I took the pacifiers back, threw them in the crib, and distracted Jack with a book, I looked over and I saw Harper getting the Wubbies out of the crib. I thought she was going to run off with them, but instead she took them to Jack and gave them to him. I was lucky enough to catch it, so I have pictures. I couldn't believe that Harper was so thoughtful- they really are best friends.


We also had a surprise guest, Nana, who got to spend Sunday afternoon playing and reading books with the kids. The weather was so nice that we went out back and I did a little light yard maintenance while Mom and Tony watched the kids. Jack got new shoes that he really likes and he is much less afraid of the transition from porch to grass now; that boy went running into the yard squealing with glee- I think he scared Abby!  I'm going to have to invest in some good sunscreen for that boy, because I have a feeling that he is going to spend his summer outside.

Harper liked walking around the yard, but was also interested in her "new seat".

While my mom was here, she was asking how many bottles the kids were taking and I told her that we'd been done with bottles for a month. Mom told me I forgot to blog about it- oops!  I thought that everyone would be able to hear us yelling "woo-hoo" when I packed up those last bottles, but I guess not. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a milestone moment, especially after all the struggles we went through with Harper, but the moment passed without much nostalgia. Here are the last pictures I have of the kids taking a bottle; I think they were 14 months old here- they look so small to me in retrospect. Now, I forget how time consuming and draining the bottles were- at one time we were making, feeding, and cleaning 16 bottles a day. I suppose God has wiped that out of my memory so I have more room for the good times. I do miss snuggling with the kiddos which the bottles provided plenty of time for, but now Jack and Harper will both sit in our laps to have a book read, and when they come over and sit "just to snuggle" it makes it even that much more sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment