Sunday, August 18, 2013

Last Day of Summer

The last weekend of my summer is upon us and we spent the weekend with two fiesty little ones who are growing and learning so much. Tony had the day off on Friday so we ran errands, got somethings done around the house and played with two adorable kiddos. 

Thursday was Harper's last Vital-Stem therapy (we are wait listed because of appointment shifts when school starts). I think being wait listed is a good thing right now because it will give us some time to evaluate how therapy is working. Harper is having a little stubborn streak with her eating (again) and Tony and I are trying to call her bluff (again); I'm worried this may become a trend. She will have few days of great eating, and then a couple of days of stubborn refusal where she takes 4-5 ounces less than we hope she will. The whole thing is, quite frankly, exhausting, but just when we're ready to scream, Harper will start eating better and we heave a sigh of relief- it's a sick waltz between the three of us. Despite the feeding back and forth, Harper is still growing and moving all over. She has started stringing together movements to form an "army crawl" that can get her any place she wants to go. Here's a shot of Harper this weekend trying to climb under our living room chair- silly girl.

Jack has been sitting up so well that when we went to breakfast this morning, he got to sit in a restaurant high chair for the first time. He does well in our high chairs at home, but they have a higher back and we were impressed he sat so well today. I think he was also excited that he got to sit next to his friend Madeline, like a big kid. Jack's other new skill is that he's become a big "talker". Nana and Pop came over yesterday and stayed with a kids so Tony and I could support our friends at a Crossfit competition (shout out to Black Iron Crossfit).  Nana said that Jack spent all day babbling and he talked up a storm today too. It's so fun to hear him putting sounds together with little sighs and inflections. I know that I'm going to miss his conversations in the morning when school starts.

I have tried my best to savor my last weekend at home with my little ones. Tomorrow morning I march back to work and the little routine I've grown accustom to in the last weeks will be thrown aside. I will miss playing in the morning after breakfast, the moments when I can see their brains working hard to problem solve, the squeals of delight from little Harper as she bounces, and Jack's laugh at silly things I do. I know that I'll still experience these things everyday, but it won't replace the fact that I will miss things and that makes my heart hurt. I guess I'll just have to hug those babies tighter on the weekends and count down the days until Thanksgiving break.

Here's one more picture of Harper, Jack, and Madeline at breakfast this morning. Heidi, Jeff, and their daughter, Madeline, are some of our best friends and I can't wait to see what these kiddos are like as they grow up together.

No comments:

Post a Comment