Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Weekend of Pictures

Wednesday when I posted we were anticipating Harper's appointment with the therapist on Thursday, so that's where I'll start.

Harper's appointment on Thursday went well and she seemed to have fun playing with her therapist, Jenny. After the horrible swallow study, I was hoping that Harper wouldn't be a screaming mess when she had to put the bottle in her mouth, but she did great. She took about an ounce with Jenny (her long term goal is two ounces without a fight- she will do that at home, but this goal is during therapy). Harper got to watch a video while she played and got to experience some new toys and smiled quite a bit. I was relieved and pleasantly surprised- one therapy session down, quite a few more to go.

Friday the kids and I met Tony for lunch and played around the house. I'm officially finished with work for the summer, so I have started on my around the house to-do list. This list is proving to be much harder to accomplish with two little helpers. But, I did spend the day today catching up on all the things I thought I'd be able to get done on Friday.

Saturday morning the kids and I took Abby for a walk while Tony was at the gym and Jack laughed as we zoomed down the sidewalk; I could listen to that laugh on every walk I take for the rest of my life and still not get enough of it. He made my day. Harper spent all afternoon Saturday working up the nerve to crawl. She is not quite there yet, but she is up on her hands and knees, rocking back and forth. I know that she will be crawling soon, but she gets around quite well rolling and scooting. She smiles so big and is so happy when she is on the move. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Saturday night we went out with some friends for my late birthday dinner. The evening started out with great promise and ended with two screaming kids- ugh. The kids were asleep when we got to the restaurant and stayed alseep for at least 1/2 of our 40 minute wait for a table. When we got to the table, they were hungry and it was hot in there; I made bottles as fast as I could, but I wasn't quick enough and there were quite a few fussy noises coming from both of them. That's where the night started to go downhill. From there, the loud restaurant seemed to scare them and the pair were only quiet when they were eating their bottles. They finished eating about 8:30 and Jack started screaming shortly thereafter, not crying, but ripping toenails out with tweezers- screaming. We tried everything to quiet him down, nothing worked. By 9, Tony and I had to-go food in the truck and we were headed home with two screaming kiddos. That's right, two; Harper decided that she couldn't let Jack cry alone. 

We got home, pulled the kids out of their carseats, put their pjs on and played and rocked and sang. Harper stopped crying as soon as we got home, Jack finally wore himself out and fell asleep in my arms about 10:15. What a long night! Tony and I did manage to eat some dinner and have some dessert, compliments of our friends who left us some sweet treats on our porch. Now I understand how it feels to be "that family" with the annoying crying kids- I apologize for judging all those families when I didn't know better. 

Thankfully, today was scream free (for the most part) and included some wonderful moments. The kids sat up by themselves; something we hadn't tried before, but were glad to see them check off their developmental milestones. I also got both kiddos to laugh out loud today, at the same time. It was a chorus of little belly laughs and Tony and I couldn't stop smiling. 

I hope this week will have us hearing more laughing than screaming at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment