Friday, March 13, 2015

Spring Break Adventure

This week I've been off work and enjoying the week with the kids- it's a nice chance to get a preview of what days will be like in the summer, and to get some things done around the house. We didn't take  a major vacation this year, but we did take a few short trips that were fun and the kids enjoyed. Here's what we've been up to:

Last weekend we drove down to visit Papa. The traffic on Friday was horrible, and it took us an hour to get through downtown, so we had to stop for dinner- not in our original plan, but the kids were good and enjoyed getting a break from all the driving.

When we did get to Papa's it was quick to bed, and then up Saturday to drive to College Station to visit Mimi's grave and have some lunch. The kids were very excited to have Mexican food for lunch- they love tortillas- and Jack was happy to pose in front of the animals outside the restaurant.

After lunch we drove to the cemetery to see Mimi. I was hoping the kids would be quiet and respectful as we walked to her gravesite, but being 2 years old and totally oblivious to any proper manners in matters such as these, the kids were squealing, laughing, and running all over- thankfully, we were the only ones in the whole place. I thought about shushing them and picking them up, and talking to them about being respectful...but then I thought that their Mimi would want them to see this place as a place that they can be themselves and laugh when they want to laugh, and squeal, and be kids- her kids. So, they had a good time visiting Mimi's grave- I hope that they will always see this place as a place of peace, not of sorrow.

Sunday the kids played at Papa's and then we headed home in the rain. The drive home was long- mostly because Jack screamed on and off for an hour and 1/2. The screaming got so bad that we had to pull over and talk to him. I think Jack was just ready to be out of the car, and when we got home, he acted like a different kid. Here's a shot of them playing at Papa's house- before the car ride meltdown.

Monday the kids, Abby, and I packed up and headed to Great Granny's house for the day. We also got to see Aunt Becky and Uncle Rex and have a nice lunch with everyone. The kids loved looking through Granny's toy closet and finding all sorts of old toys that I played with, and even some that Pop played with.

Harper's two favorite things, however, were Granny's kitchen stool (which she proudly navigated herself), and putting on all of Granny's costume jewelry. I think Harper and Granny had a good time together.



We also measured the kids on the doorframe- a tradition for all the grand kids in my family (and now the great- grand kids). Both H and J have grown almost an inch since December. I know that these little ones are growing, but it's so neat to see confirmation of this.

Monday night we spent the night at Nana and Pop's and hung out with them on Tuesday. Nana and Pop played with the kiddos while I cleaned out drawers in my old room, and the kids kept Nana and Pop on their toes. When I emerged from my drawers full of junk, the kids were excited to show me the fun they'd been having in the exercise room.



Harper also had fun helping Nana do some chores- like changing sheets on beds.


Tuesday night we headed home and had dinner with Tony and assumed our "normal routine". The kids and I spent the rest of the week running errands, playing, coloring, enjoying time outside (when it wasn't raining), and reading lots of books. Here are some pictures of the kids doing their day-to-day things.




We also got to visit Daddy at his office and have lunch with him- the kids really enjoyed that.



A couple of things I want to remember from this week:
-Harper used a piece of play toast as a fake cellphone- so funny because there's no way I would've picked toast to be a phone; I guess this generation will only know flat cellphones.
-Jack can sing his "ABC song"- all of it, all the way through and he finishes it with a big smile on his face
-Both kids are capable of having a conversation now and they have some great full sentences that took me by surprise.  For instance, Jack dropped a spoon at dinner and Tony said that I would pick it up when dinner was over (I was the only one who could reach it) to which Jack replied "Momma get it right now!"  He is getting to be bossy!  Harper, on the hand, has been more helpful that not this week. I was trying to clean up some water that Jack spilled and I asked Tony if he would bring me a towel, to which Harper replied "No Mommy, I'll get it!" and then she ran to grab the towel and bring it to me. I'm going to miss the days when this girl decides that she doesn't want to help me anymore.
- The kids are starting to show affection in different ways. When Jack got scared recently, he leaned over and put his arm around Tony- so sweet. Harper has also started saying "hold you, Mommy" (which I know is just a scam to get me to pick her up, but she is just so darn cute that I can't say "no"!)

So, that's been our spring break- nothing extravagant, but lots of wonderful family times and memories to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment