Thursday, January 2, 2014

Birthday Adventures

I realized this morning that I haven't updated the blog since the twins birthday and I have so many pictures to share. We have been doing some fun things with my two weeks off work, but I'll post about those later...

Harper and Jack celebrated their birthday on Monday with a busy morning and some birthday visitors in the afternoon. The morning the kiddos were born Tony and I were planning on eating breakfast with some good friends who were going to stop at La Madeline and bring breakfast to my hospital room- that was the plan. Somewhere between texting my order to my friend and the actual breakfast delivery, my water broke; needless to say, Tony and I didn't have La Madeline for breakfast that morning. So, after the twins had their bottle, Tony and I started off their birthday with a trip to La Madeline for breakfast. The kids really enjoyed having some scrambled eggs, croissant, and fruit. They also enjoyed "talking to" and waving at a grandmother sitting next to us; she even wished them a happy birthday- so nice!

The next stop on our adventure was Costco to get some supplies. We picked up a birthday cake (vanilla cake with 2lbs of vanilla mouse), some cookies, and plates and then headed to Plano Presbyterian Hospital. I told Tony that morning that I thought we should go by the NICU and he agreed; we thought it was only fitting to bring some sweets to thank the nurses for all their hard work and support. We also donated all of the preemie clothes we used (we kept a couple of outfits for the memory box). It was bittersweet to let go of those little outfits, but I know other little ones will get good use out of them. 

When we got to the NICU we got to see two people that really helped us with our little ones. One was the NICU director who was very helpful when we roomed in with Jack and helped us transition home. The other person we got to see was one of our very favorite day nurses who helped keep us sane when Harper was still in the NICU and Brother was at home. Both ladies thought the kids looked great, and it felt great to be back at the NICU under good circumstances and leaving with two happy babies. I wish I would've taken a picture of Harper and Jack there, but I forgot.

When we got home from our adventure, Nana, Pop, and Uncle Tanner came over to play with the kiddos. They also brought cupcakes, so we sang "Happy Birthday" and let the kids try the cupcakes. They were both a little puzzled at first, but Jack dug in and ate quite a bit; Harper was not happy about the frosting all over her hands and spent a little while trying to shake the frosting off (she finally found a solution to the frosting problem in Abby).


Overall, I think the kids had a great birthday and I think Tony and I started two traditions that we hope to continue for years to come. So, here are our big kids at a year old- holy smokes, where has the year gone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment