Monday, November 17, 2014

Weekend in Houston

Tony has spent the last week in Houston with his family as the health of Tony's mom has continued to deteriorate. We were hoping that this weekend we might be able to get the kids into the ICU to see their Mimi, so we packed up and headed to Houston for a visit. My mom was nice enough to travel with me,  my dad was a big help and watched Abby, and my sister and her family were nice enough to give us a place to stay.

We headed out Friday afternoon as soon as I got off work. Jack and Harper happily slept while I drove. Jack didn't get out his full nap- just about an hour or so, but Harper slept for almost three hours. While Harper slept, Jack looked out the window, talked to his reflection in the mirror on the seat, and sang along with the radio. We stopped to eat at The Olive Garden and made it to my sister's house about 8pm.  The kids happily played with their cousin, Sloane, and settled down for a late bedtime.

Saturday the kids got a special treat when they woke up and got to see Tony and play with him for a while before he headed back up to the hospital. They also got to see Sloane play her soccer game, and they got to see their cousin Wyatt who was back home after a sleepover the night before. Harper and Jack had a great time at the soccer game. Jack loved watching the soccer game and even got his hands on a ball to kick back and forth. Jack kept saying "soccer" "soccer" and kicking the ball- every once in a while he would yell "goal!" Harper, on the other hand, was more interested in the play ground right next to the soccer fields.  Harper insisted on climbing up the play structure and going down the slide- a big slide- meant for elementary school kids! Harper went down the slide all by herself and I caught her at the bottom- she looked worried and then laughed and insisted on sliding down again and again. In fact, the kids had so much fun playing at the soccer game, despite the cold temps, that they both cried when we told them we had to leave.



The rest of the weekend, the kids played with their cousins and we watched football, lit a fire, and enjoyed the company of our family. Harper and Jack also had a great time going through Wyatt and Sloane's playroom. Here are some pictures of cheerleader Harper and doctor Jack and doctor Harper. Harper even gave everyone a check up...including herself!





The kids also had fun popping bubble wrap that Eric had saved for them. Sloane was quick to show the kids what to do and Harper and Jack wanted to emulate everything she did- they went crazy popping those bubbles!



I am so thankful that the Sandbergs let us stay on such short notice. Sloane did a great job entertaining the little ones and I can't wait for the kids to see their cousins again. I am also very thankful to my mom who changed her weekend plans to be able to travel with us. The traveling would've been much different without her.

Despite our best efforts, the kids did not get to go to the hospital, but I did. I got to tell Debbie what the kids are doing, and hand deliver some pictures Durinda helped the kids make for their Mimi. I know that they didn't get to see her, but it felt good to have them in the same city, just down the street, just around the corner. I know that Debbie loves those kids fiercely; please continue to pray for her and for our family.

Here are the last pictures I took of the weekend and two little sleepy ones on our way home. What a beautiful sight.


Today is also World Preemie Day- Happy World Preemie Day, my loves. My how you have grown; we are so proud of you and the big fight and fiesty spirits you both have in those little bodies. Thank you, Lord, for our little preemies.





No comments:

Post a Comment