Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fleeting Moments

Tony, the kids, and I had a busy weekend, but it was capped off by a very relaxing Sunday.

We spent today reading books, playing dinosaurs, going for a walk, watching Disney songs on the iPad, and snuggling on the couch. Jack laid his little head against me while we watched clips from movies, and I prayed time would stop for just a moment.


I even climbed into Harper's crib with her as she was waking up from her nap. I know that we look silly, but I also know that these days are fleeting, and I will blink and soon they will be too big to want to snuggle with their mom. I will take every moment I can get.
I am forever grateful for these two little faces that smile at me everyday. I read somewhere that every child wonders of their parents "do your eyes light up when you see me?" I try my very best to make sure the answer is always a resounding "yes, yes, they do". These days it doesn't much to make my eyes light up when it comes to Jack and Harper. Tony and I love them so much.

Here are just a few little things they've done this weekend that's had us in stitches:

-The kids had macaroni and cheese for lunch and Tony told Jack that he didn't need anymore; he'd had enough. Tony said "Jack, you've eaten so much mac and cheese that it's coming out of your ears!" Jack immediately grabbed his ears and his eyes got wide. Too funny.

-I went in to the kids' room after I had put them down for a nap and knew someone had a dirty diaper. I asked who it was and Harper raised her hand (ha ha), so I took her to the living room and changed her diaper. When I brought her back in and put her in her bed, Jack looked at me and said "I pooped!"  Turns out, he was right. Tony says it's a ploy they use to delay nap time- it works.

-Harper has started saying "no" when she doesn't want something, but instead of saying "no" like an adult, she says "nooo" with a little furrowed brow. She has also started wagging her finger and saying "noo noo" when anyone does something that they shouldn't. She is a sweet little thing.

We also had dinner with some college friends, Jen and Casey, this weekend. The kids' had their first hamburger and french fries meal and they seemed to really like it. While we ate dinner, the kids were so well behaved, but after dinner they were wound up and Jack squealed so loud that he had the whole restaurant giving us attention; he was such a happy little guy and Harper grinned and batted her eyelashes and giggled all through dinner as well. 

We couldn't have asked for better behaved kids this weekend and I am so proud to say that Jack and Harper did great at my mom's birthday lunch too. We had Olive Garden and the kids chowed down on some breadsticks and Harper even ate a good amount of the broccoli that came with their pasta. It was nice to have two meals out without having forks on the floor, or picky eating, or meltdowns. We were very thankful.

Our big "to-do" this weekend was a surprise party for my mom. My dad outdid himself and put on a great party; he'd been planning it since May. My mom said that she had her suspicions, but I think that she was still surprised. It was so nice to celebrate my mother and her 60th birthday. Thank you to everyone who came out- it was a great party for a great lady.



No comments:

Post a Comment