Thursday, August 14, 2014

Our Last Week of Summer

I knew this day would come, but I haven't even begun to mentally prepare for it- tomorrow I start back to school. Summer seemed to sneak up and then dash off before I could feel fully rested, renewed, and ready to go back to work. But, the time comes whether I am ready or not, so I spent this week trying to savor little moments with the kids, and remember that it will be another 10 months before I get to enjoy this again.

With that being said...here's how we spent our last week of summer:

Funny Hat Day:
We found these hats from Aunt Becky while we were cleaning out the closet and getting "fall clothes" out.


Funny Sock Day:
 Harper and Jack emptied the sock drawer and she insisted on wearing some of the treasures they found- she had two socks on each foot and one on each hand- silly girl!


Eating:

1. Mexican Food

Jack LOVED rice and beans; Tony and I were pleasantly surprised by how much they ate.

2. Sloppy Joe's


My mother and mother-in-law would be proud to know that I cooked 3 meals at home this week (really cooked, too- no sandwiches or microwave meals) one of the meals I cooked was Sloppy Joe's from scratch. Harper LOVED this dinner and was covered in food. She had two helpings and the kids went straight to the tub afterward- they also left their first "ring around the tub" after that bath.

3. Hibachi Dinner

We went to dinner at a Hibachi restaurant tonight and Jack was very excited. We told him that the chef would be at our table and he could watch them make our dinner. He kept saying "cook" "cook" and immediately took note of their chef's hats- he was impressed. Harper handled the fire aspect of the Hibachi pretty well, but Jack was scared of the big flame and cried a little bit. After the initial fire went up and calmed down, so did Jack and dinner was fun- we'll have to go back.

Walking:

We took a few walks this week; I will miss walking with these guys in the mornings. The new BOB has been treating us right and we've been putting the miles on it. The kids even like to use the stroller as a jungle gym when it's in the house...FYI, we officially have "climbers" who have learned to roll their little sit-on Jeeps up to climb into the stroller.


We finished out our week with a trip to see Tony at his office. We surprised him, and the kids were so excited to see him that they squealed and yelled "Daddy" when we got into his office. I told Tony that the kids and I walked in from the parking lot together and rode the elevator, the three of us holding hands and them walking on their own the whole way to his office. Tony said that they're getting so big, so fast, and I know that he's right.

Here's how the kids were positioned when Tony came home from work earlier this week. Harper and Jack were playing in the living room and heard the garage door go up. They both dropped everything and ran to the door; Harper grabbed a Highlights magazine on her way to the door and insisted that Tony read it the moment he walked in. I know that he's looking forward to many more homecomings like this one.

Finally, here are some random pictures of us playing this week because that really seems to be where the meat and potatoes of life take place: in those random, everyday moments.




As much as I'm not ready to return to work tomorrow, I know that working helps me to be a better mom- I am more focused and attentive with Harper and Jack, and I appreciate the time I do get to spend with them so much more. So, it's off to work I go tomorrow with these two little ones close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment