Thursday, August 21, 2014

House Shoes, Pig Tails, and Uncle T

We were lucky enough to start this week off with a very special visitor: my brother, Uncle Tanner. Tanner came back to Texas to visit us before starting his senior year of college. He saw the kids briefly in May, but was shocked to see how much they've grown and all the "real people" things they do now.

They were both a little shy when they first saw Tanner, but they warmed up to him quickly. Jack was very concerned and cautious of Tanner's "boo-boo" on his knee (his scar from knee surgery), but when the books came out, the kids were quick to climb into Tanner's lap.


We're so glad we got to see Uncle T and wish him the very best his senior year; we love you and hope to see you soon!

We got to go to dinner with Tanner and I also got a couple of shots on our way out the door- too cute not to share.


 I have missed the kids so much while I've been back at work this week, but I have been cherishing the little moments I have before work with two sleepy-headed toddlers who now say "bye-bye Mama" and blow kisses as I leave, and greet me at the door when I get home, some days with a book in their hands, some days with hugs and kisses- always with lots of love and "stories" to tell.

We haven't been able to do anything very exciting, but I know that the kids have been having a great time with Durinda. I pulled out crayons and paper for Durinda and the kids and they have become little artists making pictures (some of which will be proudly displayed in my classroom, and is already on display in Tony's office). They have also ventured into finger paint and were very excited to show me how they did their finger painting. I knew they had a good time doing that because I found paint in Harper's ear! She immersed herself in her work. :)

Durinda also put Harper in pigtails- something that took my breath away. Here are the pictures she sent and as soon as I got them, I couldn't believe that this "big girl" with pigtails was our little girl. She has grown so much hair in just a year!


I think the pigtails very much fit her personality, and Harper left them in all day long- success!

We also spent some time this week playing with gloves. The kids were interested in the oven mitt glove that I was wearing as I was working in the kitchen, so after dinner, I pulled out some of Tony's gloves and let the kids play with them. Harper had a great time clapping with them on, and Jack just thought the glove was funny.
Speaking of Jack, he learned how to climb up in his high chair on his own this week. Harper has been doing this for a few weeks, and she will climb up when she's hungry and wait, sometimes patiently, sometimes in more of a screaming manner, until she gets food. Jack's first climb was a reaction to sister climbing into her own chair- Jack was hungry too; I guess I should start serving dinner a little earlier.

While Jack was learning to climb, Harper was learning how to operate the dishwasher- oh boy! I thought keeping it locked all the time would be a perfect solution to Jack being able to open the dishwasher himself- looks like Harper has figured out the lock.

Oh, Jack has also figured out how to pull the outlet covers out of the plugs- I don't have a picture of this, but if anyone has any ideas for keeping him safe (I'm worried he will try and eat the plug cover and then stick something in the light socket), please let me know.

After all the climbing and forced entry, the kids decided to rest and watch a little tv (I know they're not supposed to watch tv yet, but I had to get dinner ready- sue me). Jack climbed up into the big chair all by himself and this is how I found him.


When Harper saw I was taking pictures of Jack, she decided to join him- sometimes siblings aren't too bad.
One last mention for this week. While Tony and I were getting ready for work this week, a Pyrex dish feel off a shelf, hit our countertop and shattered- glass was everywhere. It took us almost and hour to clean everything up. Thankfully, Abby and the kids weren't in the kitchen and Abby went outside and Durinda kept the kids corralled in their room until it was safe in the kitchen. But, we have been wearing shoes in the kitchen and kept shoes on the kids all day.  So, I bathed the kids tonight while Tony was at the gym and needed some house shoes to put on Harper and Jack in the off chance that one of them scurried down the hall into the kitchen before I could catch them. I easily found shoes for Harper, but poor Jack, I looked all over and this is what I came up with. They're too big for Harper right now, but barley fit Jack. Harper was interested in showing off the shoes, but Jack wasn't thrilled about them.





While we waited for Tony to come home from the gym, these two read books- it melts my heart to see how much they love their books and how big they're getting. I hope they never outgrow their desire to sit down and read.


No comments:

Post a Comment