Friday, June 20, 2014

Week with Momma

I have been off work for a week; I will refrain from saying that my summer vacation has officially started, because I go back to work on Monday for two weeks to rewrite and improve the curriculum that we used this year.  When I'm finished with that- July 3rd- summer will "officially" begin for me.

With that being said, the kids and I have tried to make the most of this week (with a few bumps along the way). We started off the week on Tuesday with breakfast; the kids finished their English muffin and then insisted that they feed themselves their yogurt...






 As you can see, they did a good job of making a mess, but they also did a good job eating and were so proud of themselves.

After breakfast, we packed up and headed out for a morning walk and a stop at the park. They had fun climbing and sliding and watching a "big girl" (about 4) on the playground.

Tuesday night Harper started acting like she didn't feel good and ran a low grade fever. We noticed that she had a dot- a blister- on her cheek and then Wednesday night Tony noticed a rash on her feet. After a  call into the doctor, it looks like Harper has hand, foot, and mouth disease. The nurse told us that it was common amongst kids and all we can do is let the virus run its course. We're waiting for Jack to start coming down with the bumps, but so far, so good. Harper hasn't let a little fever get her down, though; this is the "sickest" she's acted.
On Wednesday afternoon, Nana and Pop came over to celebrate a late Father's Day. Both kids were eager to help Daddy and Pop open their gifts, and Jack was very impressed with Pop's gift (an autographed baseball).


We also looked up to see Harper and Jack playing in their wagon in the dining room (we had gone on a wagon walk earlier in the day). The kiddos were excited that they had climbed into the wagon all by themselves and Harper kept shrieking with delight.

Jack also picked up a new hobby this week: cleaning. He took his washcloth that was in the dirty clothes and has spent all week walking around wiping down various items like the gate, the stairs, Harper's baby doll stroller, the kitchen chairs, Tony's shoes, and even Abby and Harper!  I've been encouraged to spray some 409 on that rag and let him get to cleaning.

The other thing that I've noticed this week is that the kids are really getting down the concepts of "hot" and "cold", which is interesting to me because neither Durinda, nor Tony, nor I have really worked with the ideas of hot/cold. We will tell the kids that something is "hot", so don't touch it, or we'll tell them that their food is "too hot" and have them wait a moment to eat it.  However, we haven't talked extensively about "cold"and both Harper and Jack have done things in the past week that have blown me away.

Jack was eating ice cream on our vacation and I was offering him bite after bite, when suddenly he stopped eating, put his little arms around his shoulders (like he was hugging himself) and then said "Cold!" Since then, Jack has also used the word "cold" when we were driving in the car and the A/C was blowing right on him; I happily turned it down for him.


Harper didn't say "cold", but she did convey the same concept. My mom and I were grocery shopping with the kids in the produce area and Harper made two little fists and shook her arms and said "brrrr". I have no idea where she got that Mom and I started laughing and Harper was grinning from ear to ear.

We are planning a restful weekend, but I'm sure the kids will do something picture/blog worthy- they always seem to!

No comments:

Post a Comment