Monday, June 1, 2015

Sickness Strikes Again

This week started out well, turned sour, but ended on a high note (thankfully).

Nana was with us again this week to help with the kids while Durinda was off work. Monday and Tuesday went by smoothly; the kids played and had fun with Nana- we played outside, went on walks, and even tried out "airplane" and both kids loved it.


Wednesday the sickness hit. I was at work when I got an email from Tony telling me to check my phone, that Jack was sick. I looked at my texts and saw that mom had texted to let us know that Jack had thrown up. I quickly called to find out that Jack was eating breakfast, stopped eating, got a funny look on his face, and then got sick. Mom had hustled him to the bathroom where he got sick a few more times, mom gave him a quick bath, and since then he had been laying on the couch. My mom said Harper was very concerned about him and spent most of the day checking on Jack and making sure he had a bucket close to him.

On Thursday morning, Jack seemed to feel better and Mom, Tony, and I thought that maybe Jack just ate something he didn't agree with. This theory was put to rest on Thursday morning when, after breakfast, Harper started throwing up. I got another email from Tony saying that Harper was sick this time, and I made another frantic call home to my mom. She said that she'd already bathed Harper and Jack was now offering Harper the bucket he had used the day before (it was thoroughly cleaned). As you can guess, Thursday night was not fun at our house.

Friday morning we had officially made it 24 hours without anyone getting sick, and Harper was acting like a new woman, but Jack was acting worse than he had been 24 hours earlier. Harper was eating lots of bland food, but Jack was picking at his plate. We put the kiddos down to bed and hoped that Saturday would bring two well toddlers.

Saturday morning Harper got up bouncy and happy and ready to go, but Jack was acting lethargic and fussy. I went to the gym and when I got home, Tony said he thought Jack needed to go to the doctor; Jack had developed a rash that was spreading across his face and the back of his neck. I offered to take Jack while Tony played with Harper.

Jack and I loaded up and headed to see the pediatrician. The boy who usually sings and chatters in the car didn't say a word on the entire 20 minute drive. When we got to the doctor's office, Jack snuggled against my shoulder while we waited.

The doctor looked Jack over- he was very brave and sat in the chair all by himself during his check up. The doctor gave him a strep test-negative (yay) and said that we'd have to let the virus run its course. We spent the remainder of Saturday laying on the couch with a boy who did not feel good while his very bouncy sister ran circles around him.

Sunday morning we thought Jack felt better, and we met some friends for breakfast. Jack played and ran up and down the sidewalk with his friends, but was quick to crash when we got home. Here's a shot of us after breakfast (notice Harper and her tongue hanging out)

But Sunday afternoon when he awoke from his nap, Jack cried and cried and cried- 15 minutes of crying and fussing. I was sure he as dehydrated and was frustrated with him because he would not drink anything- it only made him cry more. I was thinking we'd have to take him back to the doctor when Tony offered Jack something to eat. Jack quickly took him up on his offer and he ate a whole English muffin and two french toast sticks...then he smiled and laughed and felt better. That boy just needed some food!

After three days of picking at his plate and not eating much, Jack was super hungry! We put the kids to bed Sunday night, and I felt more confident that Monday morning would be a good morning for Jack...and it was. The little guy woke up this morning smiling and laughing and we finally turned the corner and are now a house without sickness once more.

Having sick kiddos didn't keep us from doing some cool things this weekend though.  When we had pancakes, we let the kids try their hand with the toddler knives (sounds a little dangerous- but the knives are very blunt). They both enjoyed using their new silverware and have asked to use it again since then.


Harper and Tony spent some time building towers on Sunday. This is a Harper original- she built it all, Tony was merely the crane. The best part about watching Harper built was watching her line up each block for stability; if one of the block was "off" she would reposition it before adding another to the top.

Jack also worked both "name puzzles" all by himself this weekend- despite feeling yucky. I was impressed that Jack was able to separate the letters for each puzzle and get all the letters in the right way- here's the finished product.
And here are some pictures of the kiddos this morning with Tony- I love to seem them so happy and feeling better!

And a couple with Momma :)


Two final things that must be mentioned tonight:

1. We are moving the kids to "big kid beds" this weekend, so I took them into the guest room to show them the pillow they'll get to use in their big beds. While in the guest room, Harper saw some baby books that I had boxed up to give away. Harper asked for one of the books and I said, "No, Harper these books are for babies and you're a big girl. We are going to give these books to a baby." She said "okay", which surprised me, but what surprised me even more was Jack's reply: "Give books to baby Braydon! Just like my pacifier!" If you'll recall, we "gave away" Jack's pacifier in January and he STILL remembers that we put it in a box to give to Braydon. Tony and I were laughing and I said "that sounds likes a great idea, Bud. High five for good ideas!" Jack quickly slapped my hand and said "that's blastastic!"- a tag line from one of his favorite cartoons. Tony and I started cracking up...what a cute and funny boy; so glad he's feeling better.


2. I would like to take this last moment to wish a very happy birthday to our girl, Abby. Harper was very excited today is Abby's birthday and announced "today Abby birthday" to anyone who would listen. We made Abby chicken broth rice for dinner (with her additional food) and sang "Happy Birthday" to Abby and ate cookies in her honor. I can't imagine what life would be like without our spotted girl; I know our family would certainly have a hole in it without her. Happy birthday, Abby Girl; we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment