Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Big Kid Beds

I am two days late on my blogging, but I have good reason: we have moved the twins to "big kid" beds! Here's a picture of the last night we put our babies to bed in cribs...


This transition was made possible by Nana who was over on Thursday and Friday and helped me disassemble cribs and assemble the new beds while Tony planted beautiful flowers in the front yard. Nana stayed late on Friday to see the kids' reaction to their new room. I think they were both very excited and they were so excited to try out their new beds.



Harper has the trundle bed section of her day bed- she looks so small in a big twin bed. Harper picked out her own sheets and she was insistent that we get Doc McStuffins sheets. Harper squealed when she saw the sheets and kept saying "My Doc MucStuffins bed!"


Jack has a race car bed that originally belonged to my brother and was also used by my nephew a few years ago. Jack lit up when he saw the car bed and jumped up, laid down, and declared his bed "cozy"- I think it's a hit.

After we got the beds together, Tony and I steadied ourselves for a long night ahead of us as we put the kids to bed. The moment we shut the door, both kiddos were out of the bed and running around the room. Tony just looked at me and sighed- "here we go" I thought. Then the light flashed on and I ran into the kids room to explain -in a very stern way- that Jack should not turn on the light during bedtime. When I left, the kids were back out of bed again. We decided to let the kids run around and explore a little bit before shutting down their party.


Twenty minutes later, Tony and I went in, put the kids back in bed, stressed the importance of staying in bed, and I sat in the doorway for about 10 minutes reminding the kids to lay down periodically. After my ten minute stint in the door, the kids stayed bed the rest of the night and slept until 6:15am. I did take a trip in to make sure everyone was covered up before Tony and I went to bed.


Saturday Jack and I went to buy blackout curtains for Harper and Jack's room; Jack was pleased with himself for picking out the curtains (he was dead set on brown) and he chatted with me the whole time we were shopping. Harper decided to stay home and play with Tony while Jack and I ran errands. The day went pretty well, until it was nap time. Nap time did not go as smoothly as bed time the night before- it was like Harper and Jack had forgotten everything about staying in bed and calming down. In fact, they started wrestling with each other!

After sitting in the doorway for 30 minutes, I said forget it and put the kids in their old pack and plays. This caused both kids to yell and scream...the screaming went on for 25 minutes, until Tony and I went into our room (where the pack and plays were) and laid down with the kids- I thought this would quiet the crying...wrong...it made the screaming worse until they worse themselves out and finally fell asleep two hours after nap time started.
Saturday night, thankfully, we went out to dinner with our friends and got to enjoy some much needed adult time while the kids played. Dinner was leisurely and when we got home, the kids got on their pajamas, we did our bedtime routine, turned out the lights, and they did not get out of their beds at all and slept until 6:45am. Tony and I were thrilled! Here are some shots of the kids at dinner- too cute.


Knock on wood- the big kids bed have gone okay since then. We have had a couple of small hiccups, but nothing too big- please say prayers that this trend continues. We even got them to nap in their big kid beds on Sunday.

 After stressing how important it is to stay in bed, both Harper and Jack now stay in their beds until someone comes to get them in the morning. Here's a shot of Jack sitting in his bed waiting for us to come get him. He played with his toys and kept saying "wake up , Harper!"


In other news this week, two little ones had their first experience with crime and punishment. I came home to find that Harper and Jack had colored on the wall...and not just a little bit. So, I got out the magic eraser and we had a quick lesson on cleaning. I thought this would be a good punishment, but Harper and Jack fought over whose turn it was to clean- they loved it...so much for punishment!



The kiddos also got to play a lit bit in Tony's new truck- they were happy to honk the horn, pretend to drive, and play with the radio and air conditioning.



I have a feeling that this is what we're going to be looking at in about 14 years.


One final funny thought this week:
-My mom and I were trying to figure out where they originally bought the race car bed. I said "it was a kids store that is now defunct. They tried to compete with Babies R Us" to which Jack yelled out "It's Buy Buy Baby!"  My mom and I looked at each other and burst out laughing- how in the world did know what Buy Buy Baby was in the first place, and how does he know that this store competes with Babies R Us?  sheesh! What a smarty :)

And a picture of Miss Harper in her pig tails- I love this girl so much.

That's all for this week...oh yeah, and school is out for the summer! I can't wait to spend some time with the people I love the most. Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment