Thursday, October 16, 2014

Chatter Boxes

My last few posts have not contained as many pictures as you might have previously grown accustomed to. The kids are harder and harder to capture via camera because they don't sit still very often. I wish, instead, that I could upload voice recordings of Jack and Harper so you could hear their new words- which seem to happen daily- and their little comedic timing that they're forming.

Jack loves to say names, especially names of people who "go together". For instance, his favorite names to say are:
"Momma" "Dada"
"Nana" "Pop"
"Mimi" "Papa"
"Jack" "Harper"
But recently we have started running down all the aunts and uncles, and he's enjoying saying those names. His favorite so far is "Uncle Bubba" referring to Tony's brother, Ryan, but he's also been saying "Uncle Steve", "Uncle E" (he holds out the E-E-E) and I did get a voice snip-it of Jack saying "Uncle Tanner" that I sent to my brother. We're going to spend some more more time working on the aunts and cousins next week- although he does have "Emmy" pretty down pat.

As far as the comedic timing goes, Harper cracked me up today when we were reading the kids' Highlights magazine. There was a short story that showed a cartoon of a little girl learning to walk. She walked past the couch and was walking past the coffee table to her mommy; in the background there was a drawing of the cat sitting on the coffee table. Harper saw the cat and immediately said "no, no" and wagged her finger. I asked her why she said "no, no" and she pointed to the cat. I cracked up- Harper was admonishing the cat for being on the table- how in the world would she know that the cat shouldn't be up on the coffee table?

The next page showed the cat now sitting on the top of the bookcase overlooking the girl hugging her mommy after a successful trip navigating the living room. Jack, upon hearing Harper say "no, no", got up from his toy and came over to see what we were doing. When Jack walked up I had just turned the page and he saw the cat on top of the bookcase and he said "no, no cat!" I started laughing all over again. While Harper got onto the cat with a firm voice, Jack was even more harsh and direct with his criticism of that feline on the furniture. Tony says that's proof that we never need to own a cat.

Aside from our two little chatter boxes, we haven't done much this week.We did take a walk on Monday- I normally run Abby in the morning, but it was pouring down rain, so the kids got to ride while Abby and I ran in the afternoon. The weather was also very blustery, so the kids got to wear their jackets for the first time this fall.

We also had a dance party before bed Tuesday night. Harper was a reluctant participant in Jack's break dancing demonstration. He scooted all over the place and spun around and around- Jack was cracking Tony up!

I was also lucky enough to snag some snuggle time with this little girl- I love that she came over and insisted on sitting in my lap this afternoon. I know that these days are fleeting and soon I'll blink and they'll be in school- I pray I never take these little moments for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment