Sunday, July 27, 2014

Crossfit Toddlers

Every Sunday night when I sit down to type the blog, I find myself thinking the same thing: "What would be a good opening line"?  Sometimes I comment on the pace of the weekend, or on something monumental we experienced. This weekend, I realized the extent to which "toddler-dom" has set in, and I now fully understand that "babies" are not living in our house anymore.

This realization started on Saturday. Tony participated in a local Crossfit event honoring a fallen Marine at a local Crosffit gym. The kids and I loaded up and went to support Tony during his workout and cheer him on. Jack was quick to find Tony in the crowd and yell "Dada!" The kids sat in their stroller and watch Tony complete the workout, and then we took the kids into an adjacent room with vendor booths to let them run around and check the place out. Jack immediately got out of the stroller and started doing burpees (think push-up to a standing position with a jump at the end); he would do a burpee and then clap for himself- he was mimicking the workout he just saw Tony doing.

After burpees, Jack and Harper decided to check out the kettle bells and the barbells. They had more fun exploring the gym and pretending to lift weights than they did the rest of the day playing at home. They're so funny to watch and were quick to imitate things they saw- defiantly not babies anymore, especially our little big man who loved every minute of the gym experience.


The experience was bitter sweet for Tony and I because the event was held at the gym we were members of when we found out I was pregnant. In fact, here's the pregnancy announcement picture we took- as you can see, our math was a little off- haha!
Here's a shot of the kids playing and Tony watching on the same lifting platforms where we took our announcement pictures almost exactly two years ago, and a picture of Jack playing with the same kettle bell that was used to denote "number 3" in our announcement. We no longer belong to that gym, but it will always hold a place in our heart, and it will always be part of the story of Jack and Harper.
When we returned home from the Crossfit event, Tony hopped in the shower and I started working in the kitchen, preparing for Lindsay and Wes to come over for lunch. While I was emptying the dishwasher, I looked up and saw Harper sitting in her high chair. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked her, "how did you get up there?" She just smiled and I grabbed my camera. That little girl is our climber and now I'm starting to realize that we're going to have to "toddler proof" things that we never thought to "baby proof".

While I was snapping pictures of Harper, I heard a funny thunk noise and looked over to find this scene:
 Jack had climbed into the dishwasher and was saying "cup, cup" as he tried to pull a cup out of the top rack- I suppose he was thirsty.  I don't know how I'm ever going to get anything done again if I can't turn my back these two for a moment without them climbing on top of, or in to something. Oh dear!


Harper also had a fashion show at our house before we went to run errands and meet Tony for lunch on Friday. She showed off her cute dress that Great Granny got her; she was so excited to put it on and twirl and march around the house.
The final moment this weekend goes to a picture of these two sleeping little ones in their new car seats. I know that when you look at this, you might see two sleeping babies, but I look at this and I see two very active toddlers who have replaced my sleeping little babies- it's so fun to see how far they've come and to celebrate these moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment