Tuesday, July 8, 2014

4th of July Celebrations and Birthday Dinner

We had a great time celebrating the 4th of July this year at "Camp Marion". My sister and her family spend a week at my Aunt Becky and Uncle Rex's house each summer; Becky and Rex live on a lake, and the kids have so much fun swimming, riding on the boat, fishing, playing outside, and exploring. For the past two years, our little ones have been invited to Camp Marion, and I know that they'll be looking forward to it next year.

Here's what they looked like at Camp Marion last summer- just so you have some comparison.



After our vacation to the beach, Tony and I were excited to get the kids in the pool and see what they thought about the water (especially Harper). We decided to put life jackets on the kiddos- something they'd never warn before, but they did great.

Jack wasn't sure what to think about the pool at first, very similar to his reaction in the ocean, but he warmed up to the idea of floating. Jack really liked holding onto the noodle, as long as I was right behind him and he could lean against me. We walked all over the pool together until Nana got in and then she got him laughing when she would lift him out of the water. Jack started saying "Up!" and Nana would lift him high, and he would laugh and laugh. So, overall, I think Jack liked the water.

Harper loved the water; she is going to be our little fish. Tony walked in with Harper and when her feet hit the water, she started kicking. Harper would float on her back with our hands under her for a little support, and she would hold onto the noodle and kick. In fact, Harper and I kicked all over the pool, even in the deep end, with the noodle and she grinned the whole time. Nana got Harper to reach out and "jump" off the steps into the water- she would grab onto Nana's hands and glide off the steps and immediately turn around and want back on the steps to jump again.  But, Harper's favorite thing in the pool was "flying" with her dad. She would squeal when Tony picked her up and clap her hands- that girl is going to be our daredevil for sure.

After the pool, Uncle Rex took the kids out for a boat ride. I think Jack liked the boat ride better than the pool; he kept saying "zoom, zoom" and making car noises as we zipped through the water. Harper closed her eyes and leaned her head back- at points I thought she was asleep; I'm not sure she liked the wind in her hair as much as Jack did. Both kiddos were very interested in a boat we saw parked on the street the next day, so I think they'll be taking a boat ride again the next time we're at the lake.

The remainder of our time at Camp Marion was spent with family- eating, watching Pop make homemade ice cream, sitting on the porch visiting, watching Uncle Rex cook, buying lemonade from Sloane's lemonade stand, watching Wyatt do magic tricks, and running around outside, but the most fun was watching the cousins play together. Sloane and Wyatt were so patient with Harper and Jack. Aunt Becky set up a play area inside for the kids and the cousins spent an hour or more playing in the rocking chair, cooking in the play kitchen, and just entertaining each other.

Sloane and Harper were so cute. Harper watched everything Sloane did and Sloane just doted on Harper and helped her with whatever she needed. I think the coordinating bathing suits were an added plus-thanks Aunt Kiki!

The kids were also very excited to get to take a bath in the giant bathtub with jets and lights- a true highlight of the Camp Marion experience for the grandkids.
We had a great time and I'm very thankful for our wonderful hosts, and for the opportunity to see family and celebrate my birthday while we were there. Wyatt and Sloane helped me blow out my candles, and they reminded me that even though I have two little ones of my own, I'll always be their Aunt Mo. It was nice to get to spend some time with them; they live just far enough away that I miss them growing up, so Camp Marion week is a great time to catch up.
After we left, we went back to Nana and Pop's house and spent the night before heading home the next day. Here are a couple of pictures of the kiddos ending their trip to Arlington. I can't believe that I go back to work in 4 1/2 weeks- I will surely miss these moments.
Sunday we to lunch for my birthday- Mexican food- yum! My Granny brought the kids some toddler flatware that they love to use, so I brought some forks along for lunch. They did great eating. At one point, I was helping Harper and I noticed my plate move; I looked over to see that Jack had pulled my plate closer to him so he could shovel in all the beans and rice that he wanted- I guess he's going to catch up on his weight percentile sooner rather than later!  I had a wonderful birthday with my little family; I am happy to report that my day was much less restful and much less quiet than my birthday was two years ago, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment