Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Nana's Birthday, Garth, and Impromptu Travel

If you read the last post, you'll recall that Harper and Jack's Nana celebrated her birthday about two weeks ago. Our family met up to celebrate her birthday with lunch and some time together at Nana and Pop's house. The kids were very excited to see Nana, Pop, and Great Granny at lunch...and also very excited to have some cake afterward.


The kids even sang to Nana and Harper helped her blow out her candles- happy birthday, Nana!


Our big adventure this week was an impromptu weekend getaway to Houston to see Papa.  Tony noticed that our air conditioning was making a strange hissing noise, so after the repairman came out, we were without air for the weekend. Friday night we made the decision to pack up and head to Houston. Tony drove while the kids slept, and I did my best to stay awake and keep Tony awake.

The kids were so excited to see Papa that they didn't want to go to bed, and they were up early to see Papa in the morning. The kids started their stay off with a trip to visit to the pond in Papa's neighborhood to see the fish and turtles while Abby and I went for a walk. I know Tony and Papa were happy to have some time together with Harper and Jack.

Saturday afternoon the kids took a trip down to Houston proper to see their cousins. I called my sister as we were packing up to leave on Friday and she invited us over for lunch on Saturday- something low key. Our visit with them was so relaxing and fun; the kids got to play with Wyatt and Sloane and run around the backyard (Harper called it the "playground"). We also got to meet the newest addition to the family, Meg the dog; she was sweet to the kids and well behaved and didn't jump or bark or bite. My favorite part of the day was watching Wyatt and Jack and Sloane and Harper play together. I know that the kids have a pretty big age gap, but it makes me smile to see how well they get along, and how nice the big kids are to the little ones. I hope that they'll stay close as they get older.



We rounded out our time in Houston with some fun playtime at Papa's house. The kids loved bouncing around Papa's backyard and playing football with Tony, and having footraces with me. I was happy to wear the kids out so they'd sleep well, and I am so thankful to spend the last days before fall outside with soaking up all the summer has to offer.




We made our trek back to Frisco on Sunday afternoon and the kids did great in the car- both kids took good naps and the temperature dropped the further north we drove. The house wasn't terribly hot when we got back, and the kids got to sleep upstairs where the A/C actually worked. Tony and I surrounded ourselves with fans and endured until the repairman could fix our unit Monday afternoon.

So, I am making this blog post from a nice, cool, comfy house that I am very thankful for. Here are some pics of the kids being goofy this week: Jack and I hanging out and Harper giving Tony a makeover before their tea party :)  What a great dad!


Oh yeah, Tony and I did have one other adventure this week- we went to see Garth Brooks live in concert. We went to dinner with my parents before the concert and then braved the crowd on a school night to see Garth's first Dallas stop since the early 90's. The concert was fun (Garth played all the old stuff we love), the company was great, and we even got to see Trisha Yearwood- you can't complain about that!


No comments:

Post a Comment