Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sweet Summer Time

I missed my mid-week post, so this will encompass the later part of our week and our weekend. It's amazing to me that during the week, when I work all day and come home to the little ones, I still make time to do the blog, but when I'm home all day, I can't seem to get the blog done- maybe I just have a summer mentality.
This week the kids and I tried to keep ourselves busy with some outings.  On Tuesday, we met my friend, Judith, to do some back to school shopping. I haven't really bought myself any clothes in a couple of years and I have been in need of some wardrobe updating. I was thankful Judith volunteered to come along to help me pick out items, and to help me wrangle the kiddos. She was great with them, I got some good deals, and we wore the kids out- success!
Wednesday the kids and I were home all day, so we took Abby for a nice walk, played dress up with my shoes- Harper loves shoes- and then did a few projects around the house. One thing I had been wanting to tackle was cleaning up the "new to you" BOB that had been sitting in our garage. So, I grabbed a bucket of soapy water and a rag and scrubbed while the kids played. As I was finishing up, Harper noticed the bubbles in the bucket and was very curious; Jack came over to investigate and soon they were giggling and splashing in the water- I was so thankful to be able to witness that moment. Also, a big shout out to the Sandbergs for giving us the BOB- thank you!

On Thursday, the kids and I packed up and headed to Arlington. I got a much needed haircut, but the best part of the day was getting to see Granny on her 88th birthday.  Jack, Harper, Pop, and I took Granny out to lunch at El Fenix. The kids did okay with their lunch; they weren't much interested in the quesadillas that I ordered them, but Harper chowed down on tortillas and butter and Jack kept Pop busy feeding him rice and beans. After lunch Granny and my dad were nice enough to watch the kids so I could get my haircut; I know the kids enjoyed playing and spending time with them. Nana missed seeing the kids because she was out of town, but that didn't stop Jack from wandering around her bedroom looking for her yelling, "Nana!"
I wish I had gotten a picture of Granny with the kids on her birthday, but there were too many moving parts with our lunch and I forgot. So, here's a picture of the kids with Granny on her birthday last year, and a picture of Granny with my dad and Aunt Becky at her birthday dinner. 

The kids also got a chance to try out their new carseats when we went to Arlington. This is a big step for us because we can no longer cart the kids inside places in their car seats; this means a whole new dimension of twin management for us. It is difficult to get one kiddo to stand still and wait as we put the other kiddo in their car seat; I am even more thankful for having a minivan so the kids can roam around inside while they wait and I don't have to worry about them running out into traffic. Here's a shot of their new seats on the way to lunch (I got to ride in the third row- it's a tight fit sneaking into the back with both carseats in).
On Friday the kids and I took a trip to Tony's office to visit him at work. Jack was so excited when Tony came out of his building to get us, and Jack ran to him- it was a very sweet picture. The women in Tony's office gathered around to see the kids while Jack ran up and down the halls, and Harper clung to Tony's hand and played shy- I think she's going to be our more reserved girl, at least in public.
Jack was quick to try out everything in Tony's office; he liked playing on the computer, and looking at maps Tony made, but he really liked Tony's magnetic wall.  
Harper also liked typing on the computer and modeling Tony's old hard hat from his previous company- anything as long as she had her daddy's attention.
The weather was overcast this weekend- a nice break from the heat. On a whim, Tony and I loaded up the kiddos in the wagon and pulled them down to the little playground in our neighborhood. They were thrilled to have the place to themselves and loved exploring. Harper was brave climbing all over the place and going down all three slides- even sliding down on her tummy sometimes. Jack was a little more cautious, but once he saw sister was okay, he started sliding as well, however, his favorite activity was picking up the wood chips and putting them on the slide, or throwing them on the ground. I am so glad that we decided to go to the park; it was an afternoon of sweet memories.  


In honor of National Ice Cream Day, here are some pictures of the kids enjoying some Braum's this weekend. They loved it and a woman even stopped to say that she thought Jack should be in a Braum's commercial because she'd never seen a kid so happy to eat ice cream before- what a hoot!


No comments:

Post a Comment