Sunday, July 12, 2015

When the Parents are Away...

Tony and I had the good fortune of spending the last week soaking up some sun in Mexico with some great friends. It was nice to get away from everything for a while and de-stress, but we sure missed Harper and Jack and their antics (this is what I looked like the day before we left on vacation- I was art-ha)
 
 Our trip abroad was made possible by Nana and Pop who stayed with the kids for a few days. I called to check in each day and every time I called, the kids were happy, the grandparents were doing well, and even Abby dog was having a good time. Knowing the kids were in such good hands allowed us to relax and really enjoy our vacation. Here are some highlights from Harper and Jack's time with Nana and Pop:

They went to the public library to read some books, put on a puppet show, and check out the toddler story time.

Mom said Jack really enjoyed story time, but Harper was a little nervous with all the other kids and spent most of her time observing while Jack sang songs; they both enjoyed the story that was read.

Another day Nana and Pop filled up the water table and let the kids splash and play. Harper was excited to tell me about it on the phone, and she let us know that Nana put bubbles in the water- so exciting!

Jack and Harper also shoed Nana and Pop the park, played all over the house, took good naps, and ate well while we were gone- I think Tony and I should vacation more often :)

When we got back from our trip on Friday, Harper and Jack looked so big to me and Tony said they must've grown overnight. They now have some new phrases like "I want to show you something" and "whatcha' got" that took me by surprise the first time I heard them.

Our little family of four had two days together before Tony head's back to work tomorrow, so we made the most of our weekend. Jack was so exciting about going to library with Nana and Pop that Tony and I decided to take them to toddler time again Saturday morning. The class wasn't as crowded and Harper knew what to expect, so she had a little more fun this time and both kiddos sang and danced along.

After class was over, the kids got to spend some time on the computer playing toddler computer games (they looks so big here to me) and we let the kids pick some books to check out. Jack was super excited that he got to check out books- the first time we've ever done this- and he had a hard time just picking a few. When we got home from the library, both kids sat down and went through all of their books first thing.

This morning it wasn't too terribly hot, so we decided to take the kids to the park. I take the kids to the park quite a bit, but Tony is usually at work when we go, so today was a treat for him.



The kids had learned a few new things like:
- climbing up the tunnel slide (Jack likes to get up to the top and then slide down backwards on his tummy)

-hanging from the ring above the little slide (Harper is so strong)


-pushing each other down the slide (they do this and giggle; we're not to malicious pushing...yet)


It was also nice to get a few shots of Tony and I playing with the kids- a great way to end the weekend.

On a different note, Harper also had an epic temper tantrum during lunch today (we waited too long to eat and she had a meltdown). This was a cold dose of reality and a reminder that we do have two-and-a-half year-olds that we're trying to guide through life (a task not for the faint of heart).

I am starting a "bucket list" for summer now that we're home from vacation; the list includes things like "trip to the zoo", "eating snow cones" and "potty training". I have 30 days left until I have to report back to school, and I hope to make the most of each day and work on that list.

We are also very happy to welcome a new little boy into our family. We are happy to announce that we have a new nephew born this week! I can't wait to see all 6 Collett grandkids together- they are going to be one adorable little gang.

That's all for tonight- we are so glad to be home in our own beds, with our little family, and can't wait to start planning our next vacation- ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment