Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day!

“Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you’re not sure what the right thing is…and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong.”
―Donna Ball, At Home on Ladybug Farm


I thought this quote was fitting for our Mother's Day entry.  This year our Mother's Day celebration comes with both a mix of joy and grief- a double edged sword that casts a spotlight on a gaping hole left in our lives and the lives of my dear sweet babies who are growing up without their precious Mimi. We talked about Mimi today and I smiled today thinking that she would've loved to watch Dumbo with the kids this afternoon, or play in the play kitchen with Harper, or pretend to be flying to outer space with Jack. I know that she is looking down on us and smiling too. We miss you Mimi- you were an outstanding mother who embodied the quote above. You taught me so much about what it means to be a great mom- thank you for everything you gave to us. Happy Mother's Day!


This weekend the kids and I went and got our haircut- it was much needed all the way around. Jack volunteered to go first and Deb give him a "little boy" haircut. When Deb turned that chair around, I was shocked to see a boy where my toddler sat just moments before- no more curls (I know they'll quickly grow back), and just a big grin on his face. Jack couldn't wait to get up and run around the salon and play while Harper got her haircut. Harper needed a bang trim and she was happy to be able to see her eyebrows again. When she was done getting her haircut, it was my turn and Nana played with the kids while I got my haircut. We were some of the last people in the salon and Harper and Jack had a great time running up and down the halls, sitting on the couch, and looking at themselves in the mirrors. Jack also found an "astronaut helmet" that he thought was really neat. 



We celebrated Mother's Day with my family on Saturday with a nice lunch out at Gloria's. The kids enjoyed eating tortillas with beans and sour cream and cheese- they ate so much lunch I thought they were going to pop! After lunch, we went to Nana and Pop's house to open gifts and visit. They had a great time with Aunt Becky, Uncle Rex, Great Granny and Nana and Pop. 



After we left Nana and Pop's, we stopped by a friend's third birthday party for about an hour. Harper and Jack enjoyed playing on the slide and playing with their friends. When we got back home, they were worn out and got in bed early.

Our Mother's Day started this morning with tornado sirens at 7am- thankfully, the storm warning was called off and we didn't have to wake the kids up to huddle int he closet. Tony made Belgian waffles for breakfast, the kids gave me some pictures they had painted, and I spent all day in my pajamas- it was a great Mother's Day. I loved to snuggle with my little family while we watched movies this morning and play and even do some work around the house. Somehow doing the laundry and changing sheets, and all the other household chores seemed easier to do when it was raining and we were all sitting around in our pjs.

I am so thankful and grateful to be a mother to these two wonderful kids and I am so proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment